Here's a list of some things that I have learned about Art from books and people:
1. If you don't try, you will never succeed.
2. If you don't practice, you will never get better.
3. Effort is everything.
4. With practice, you will get better, and if you keep it up and keep improving yourself, you will eventually be great.
5. Even silly doodles can help you improve.
6. Use books and use the Internet; learn from others and build on them and make your own techniques.
7. Sketches are your friend.
(Specifically for 3D Modeling: )
8. References are your friend. Don't ever discount them. EVER.
9. Look at everyday objects and imagine how you would construct them and what their wireframes would look like.
10. Efficient meshes are always better.
11. If it never gets close to the camera, it doesn't need a gajillion polys.
12. Practice photo-real modeling, even if you do stylized modeling.
(Specifically for Game Design: )
13. WALKING IS NOT GAMEPLAY.
More to come as I learn more